Wednesday, March 25, 2009

8th grade field trip redux

The other day, one of my co-workers chaperoned an 8th grade field trip for her son. That reminded me of my own experience. Since my son was a handful, the teacher asked me to supervise Paul and two of his pals. When I arrived, I took a look at these three boys and started to laugh. Boy #1 was tall, skinny, hollow-chested, with enormous feet and a high, childish voice. Boy #2 was short, chubby, and largely silent. Boy #3 was tall, with a full luxurious mustache and a deep bass voice.

Here's the point, folks. They were the same age and in the full bloom of teendom. Together, they represented the vast arc of adolescence. So when you're buying books, planning programs, or doing outreach... recall that spectrum. For teens, one size does not fit all!

No comments:

Post a Comment